It is recommended to replace your Pantone books at least every 12-18 months, however this does depend on how you store and use them!
For instance the fan guides or smaller books like the Passport which are left open on your desk or at the end of the press and are used daily will deteriorate sooner than the master copy of the books stored in away in a locked cupboard in the dark.
Some of the reasons for damage to the books can be found below – not to mention spilling your coffee or accidentally marking with a biro!
- Handling = smearing and removing pigment from natural oils on fingertips
- Pages rubbing together = scratching or removing pigment
- Light exposure = fading
- Paper aging = yellowing effects
- Ambient moisture = accelerated paper aging
- Natural pigment expiration = faster, noticeable colour variation, especially in lighter and pastel colours